Guardian ad Litem
I am frequently asked to serve as Guardian ad Litem in contested custody cases in Family Court. As a Guardian ad Litem, I represent and advocate for the best interest of the minor child or children. This is a duty and responsibility that I take quite seriously.
My ultimate responsibility in these cases is to make a report to the Court regarding the children. If I have been appointed to serve as Guardian ad Litem in your case,
- I need to meet with you as soon as possible, as I need to begin my investigation immediately. Please call my office to schedule an appointment.
- It is customary that both parties pay an initial deposit toward the Guardian ad Litem fee within thirty (30) days of appointment. Your portion of this fee is set by the Court. We will discuss my fees and all other aspects of your case at our initial appointment. Please note that failure to make an appointment does not relieve you of the Court ordered obligation to pay the GAL fees. A final fee determination will be made by the Family Court at the end of the proceedings.
- It is generally my practice to meet with both parties prior to meeting with the child or children. You are scheduling an appointment for yourself only. We will be happy to help you with setting up an appointment. It is very important that I meet with you as soon as possible.
- You should plan to be at this appointment for about thirty to forty-five minutes. If additional time is needed, we will then schedule another appointment. Please be on time for this appointment. If you are late, I may have to reschedule your appointment in order to have sufficient time to speak with you. DO NOT BRING ANY CHILDREN TO THIS APPOINTMENT. We will not be able to cover the necessary details of your case with children present. You are setting a time for yourself only. I will not have time to see any other witnesses at this appointment. I will speak with any other persons that I need to speak with at a later time.
- You should bring any Court documents you have with you to your first appointment. You should also bring the contact information for any witnesses you want interviewed as well as any other relevant information.